One of the biggest investments you will ever make in your life is the purchase of a home. Since this is where you will spend the majority of your time with your family, you want to be confident that it’s safe and secure. Mold can be a serious issue and that is why keeping a tab on the indoor situation is important.
Thus, if you have any concerns regarding a home, you’re interested in buying, hire a professional home inspector to examine the property and determine whether or not it’s inhabitable. The following are the 4 most common concerns that prospective home buyers have when purchasing a property:
Damaged or a failing roof – when you are buying a home, it’s only natural to be concerned about its condition and whether there are any underlying issues that require costly repairs and your immediate attention. The roof could be one of those issues if it’s damaged or failing structurally. As one of the primary structural components of any home, the roof is your first line of defense against the elements and can be extremely expensive if replacement is required.
Gas leaks – these can be extremely dangerous and potentially be a catalyst for a house fire or lead to serious health issues after prolonged exposure. A professional home inspector can test the indoor air quality of the home in question. Some use a device that was designed to detect gas leaks and alert prospective buyers to a serious problem that needs immediate attention before moving in.
Lead-based paint – another key concern is the type of paint that was used up until the late 70s. Lead paint was the paint of choice during that time as it was very durable and lasted for decades. Research revealed that lead paint affected brain development and growth, especially in infants and younger children. When you’re purchasing a home, it’s important to know if this type of paint is present. In most cases, lead paint is considered safe provided it is still intact and undisturbed.
Mold – can be extremely problematic and compound respiratory issues for allergy and asthma sufferers. Additionally, it can lead to costly property damage. In nature, mold assists in the breaking down of organic materials. However, in a home, it can cause serious health issues and damage materials. Mold exposure can cause coughing, fatigue, headaches, and itchy eyes. Areas of high humidity and damp spaces are ideal breeding grounds for mold growth and spread.
To ensure that the home you’re thinking of buying is safe to live in, contact Florida Inspections Unlimited today at 954-861-0666 and schedule a home inspection.