Molds are fungi that can grow in damp, warm and humid environments either indoors or outdoors. Mold inside your home can hide in the most obtuse places, making it difficult to detect at times. That is why it’s important to get a professional to conduct a mold inspection in your Broward County home.
Unfortunately, many homeowners don’t even realize they have a mold problem until it gets out of hand. Because mold can be a serious health problem, it’s important to note some important warning signs that may indicate you are living with a mold problem in your home.
- A moldy odor — even though not all molds will produce an odor, many do. A persistent musty odor may be indicative that there is mold in your home.
- Visible signs of growth — depending on the type of mold, it can take on various appearances.
- Signs of water damage — if you are seeing water stains or discoloration on walls, ceilings or floors or you see indications of bubbling, cracking or peeling walls or wallpaper, you may be dealing with a mold issue.
- Water leaks or past flooding — if your home has experienced and flooding or leaking, it may be that you have some form of mold as a result.
Most molds will grow in areas that have seen an influx of moisture. If your home experienced a recent leak or a flood, you know that water and moisture have already had a chance to get into your home. This should be your first sign that you could have a mold problem somewhere in your home. You will want to identify and repair any areas where you have seen moisture in your home.
Mold can have a very unique and sharp smell. You may notice an unpleasant odor in a specific area of your home. Mold is able to live inside walls or behind wallpaper or cabinetry so you may want to consider that any persistent odor in your home that you can’t find a cause for might be mold that is hiding in one of these areas.
Many people will exhibit allergy symptoms when there is a mold problem in their home. These can be
- Itchy throat
- Congestion and runny nose
- Sinus headaches
- Watery eyes
- Itchy skin
If these symptoms get better when you leave the house, chances are that mold is your culprit.
Because some forms of mold can be toxic, you want to make sure that you are taking care of the issue as soon as possible.
If you suspect that you have a mold problem, call a professional mold inspector. At Florida Inspections Unlimited, our Broward County mold inspection specialists will be able to detect and locate any mold growth you may have. Call us today at (954) 861-0666 for a safe and effective mold inspection.