For many individuals, the kitchen is the most important room in their home. Regardless of the size of the home, most of us would agree that no home can be complete without a kitchen because of the following reasons:
- It evolves to meet the changing needs of the homeowner.
- It influences our lifestyles.
- It’s the area where families gather.
That being said, the one thing you don’t want to find in the kitchen is mold. While it is more likely going to be found in the basement or bathroom, the kitchen isn’t immune to mold growth. The main reason is the frequent use of water and warmth, that are harbingers of mold growth/ Here are 5 mold prevention strategies to consider if you want to reduce the risk of mold growing in your kitchen:
- Check for leaky pipes – there are lots of pipes running through kitchens. So it’s never a bad idea to check them on a regular basis to ensure they aren’t leaking. Don’t forget about the plumbing fixtures on the sink.
- Clean all kitchen utensils thoroughly after use – wash all utensils after you’ve used them. This includes cutting boards and dishes as well. Otherwise, you’ll have an issue with fungi growing on dirty items.
- Don’t put carpeting and rugs in the kitchen – these items were never intended for use in the kitchen because they absorb foods and liquids that can cause the growth and spread of mold.
- Get rid of spoiled foods – this is a fairly logical step. A lot can be seen with the naked eye. So if you see any foods that are obviously spoiled, toss them as soon as you find them. Even if they don’t appear to have spoiled on the surface, if you suspect that something may be wrong with it, get rid of it.
- Keep your kitchen clean – this step should be obvious as most people are already doing whatever they can to ensure their kitchens are clean. However, if for some reason you aren’t, now is the perfect time to start. Keeping your kitchen clean will help to prevent mold from growing and spreading. Kitchens can get dirty quicker than you think. So keep a watchful eye out for damp areas and stains that need to be wiped down as soon as you see them. Ensure that you o a quick survey before you leave the kitchen and wipe down any sign of pooled water anywhere.
If you’ve noticed mold growing in your kitchen, or any other areas in your home, call the experienced and dependable licensed mold experts at Florida Inspections Unlimited at 954-861-0666 today to schedule a professional mold inspection.