Mold growth can pose a serious threat to your health while at the same time damaging many of your belongings and the structure of your home. Inhaling the spores can trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks or increase the risk of respiratory illnesses and other serious health issues. Mold growth on ceilings, walls, and other surfaces can cause costly damages and make the structure less durable and unsightly. If you notice any of the visible signs, it’s important that you address the issue immediately.
While the thought of saving a few dollars with a DIY mold removal effort may be very tempting, hiring a professional remediation service is always the smarter choice. Usually, unless professionals come and evaluate the extent of the mold infestation, it can get difficult to completely eliminate the mold. Trying any DIY method won’t work.
Here are 4 factors to consider when choosing DIY mold removal versus hiring a professional mold removal company:
- Experience and skills – the methods and techniques for removing mold can vary based on the areas that are affected, the extent of the mold growth, and how you can prevent exposure to it.
- Extent of the mold growth – without having a professional mold inspection, it’s difficult to know the extent of the growth. If rooted deeply in the cracks of a wall, mold can still appear after remediation. If the mold has grown into areas that you can’t see with the naked eye, it can be too risky to attempt removing it yourself.
- Knowing the cause – another key factor is knowing what caused the mold problem in your home as this will help you decide between DIY mold removal and having it removed by professionals. It also helps to know how long you and your home have been exposed to the problem. This enables you to determine how far the mold has traveled through your home.
- Proper equipment – depending on your circumstances, fumigation systems or other special equipment may be required to remove all of the mold growing in your home. It’s also important to wear protective gear that prevents the mold spores from coming into contact with the eyes and skin as well as preventing you from inhaling the spores.
If the mold in your home is covering less than 10 sq. ft., DIY removal may work. Just keep in mind that attempting the removal without the proper equipment and skills can be risky. Conversely, if you aren’t certain about the extent of the growth, it’s better to hire a professional remediation service. To learn more or to schedule a mold inspection, call Florida Inspections Unlimited at 954-861-0666 today.