Although you might not have heard the terms “Stachybotrys chartarum”, you probably know it by its more common name “black mold” or “toxic black mold.” The “toxic” part refers to the mycotoxins that it produces. These toxins can cause several health concerns if they are ingested or inhaled. More specifically, individuals that have had a higher degree of exposure to black mold where they live or work can develop severe health issues over time, such as a farmer that handles moldy hay.
There are mold issues in homes that go unnoticed for a while until it spreads and you have allergies and other health issues. If you’ve been experiencing any of the symptoms listed below and you believe that they aren’t attributed to an illness or some other cause, you may be experiencing exposure to black mold in your home or workplace:
- Irritation of mucous membranes – exposure to toxic black mold can cause eye pain and redness, an irritated and runny nose, sore throat, and a number of other mucous membrane-related issues.
- Nausea and vomiting – another one of the more discomforting symptoms of black mold exposure is nausea and vomiting. With prolonged exposure, some individuals will experience a nauseated or upset stomach that eventually leads to vomiting.
- Persistent fatigue and headaches – dull headaches that occur frequently or persist are signs of black mold exposure. In the more severe cases, symptoms may include a sensitivity to light couple with persistent fatigue.
- Rashes – hives, itching, rashes, and skin tenderness are all common mold exposure symptoms you need to be aware of. They may be accompanied by a numbness or tingling sensation of the skin. Although there are ointments that will help you control them, these symptoms are likely to return until you’ve decreased or eliminated your exposure to black mold.
- Respiratory issues – breathing-related symptoms is the most common warning sign of black mold exposure. The symptoms include chronic coughing and sneezing, severe sinus congestion, and shortness of breath. These different symptoms could indicate that your body is attempting to protect itself from certain airborne substances that can’t be detected by the naked eye.
If you’ve been experiencing any or a combination of the above symptoms, the next step is finding the black mold and having it remediated (removed). While you can, with the proper instructions, do a visual inspection yourself, it’s better to rely on a professional and have peace of mind about the situation. Thus, why take chances with your health and well-being? Have a professional mold inspection performed as soon as possible by calling Florida Inspections Unlimited at 954-861-0666 today.