Hiring a home inspector is essential to ensuring that you pay a reasonable price when buying a home. There are literally hundreds of home inspectors throughout Broward County and south Florida. However, not all of them are equally experienced, reliable, and skilled at their jobs. The right home inspector will also be an educator of sorts and teach you more about the home inspection process. However, it helps to do your homework and know more about the process so that you can prepare in advance of their visit.
Furthermore, they will show you how to anticipate having to make repairs and prevent you from making a poor decision when purchasing a property. Basically, one of the smartest things the prospective home buyer can do is to hire a home inspector before closing the deal. So how do you choose the right one? Look for the following qualities:
- Ask to see samples of past inspection reports – if the home inspector you’re thinking about hiring is reputable, they should have no problem showing you samples of reports they’ve prepared for past clients. The average home inspection report ranges between 20 and 50 pages in length and is easy to understand.
- Certificates / credentials – the right home inspector for the job will have had formal training and will possess a certificate confirming that they’ve completed a reputable licensing class or program.
- Experience – as with the hiring of any other professional, finding one with significant experience is essential to choosing the right home inspector for the job. Find one with a minimum of 5 years of experience, although more would better.
- Full-time inspectors only – it is always recommended that you work with a full-time home inspector because they are usually more conscientious and dedicated to their work than those who only do this type of work on a part-time or temporary basis.
- Guarantees – it’s a good idea to find out if the inspector will be providing you with a guarantee for the work they’ve done and the report they’ve prepared. This will help you determine if he or she is a true professional.
- Home inspection charges or fees – just as every prospective home buyer has a budget that they have to stick to, home inspectors have specific fees they must charge for their services. It’s important to know what you are being charged for when shopping for a home inspector.
Purchasing a home is one of the biggest, if not the biggest investments you’ll make in your lifetime. And that is why it helps to know that the house you are purchasing is worth its cost. To learn more about choosing a home inspector call Florida Inspections Unlimited at 954-861-0666 today.